Back pain, historically, is a common condition experienced by people of all ages. About 80 percent of the world’s population experiences back pain at some point, with the lower back being the common source of the discomfort. Depending on its severity, back pain could make a person’s life miserable. It potentially hinders performing one’s daily routine and enjoying favourite activities. Back pain is the primary reason people seek medical treatment.
Causes of Back Pain
Our backs support our body, whether in motion or at rest. Certain factors increase the risk of back pain, including:
- Excess Weight - Higher Body Mass Index (BMI) puts extra pressure on the joints and muscles of the lower back.
- Arthritis - This condition affects back joints/muscles with stiffness, pain, and swelling. Certain types of arthritis may lead to spinal stenosis, a condition that narrows the spaces surrounding the spinal cord.
- Muscle or Ligament Strain - Sudden, awkward movements and lifting heavy objects may strain both back muscles and spinal ligaments.
- Bulging Discs - This physiological situation occurs when discs (the soft materials that act as cushion between the vertebrae) become ruptured and press on the nerve.
Acupuncture as Back Pain Treatment
Acupuncture is a holistic, Traditional Chinese Medicine (“TCM”). It helps stimulate certain points of the body by using a special needle to penetrate skin and relieve pain or treat various health problems. According to Traditional Chinese medicine, more than 2,000 points are found in the human body. These points are linked by meridians that generate energy flow (known as “Qi;” pronounced as “Chee”). Acupuncture stimulates points in the back and other areas in the body to alleviate pain and improve overall health. This corrects “Qi imbalance” and boosts the flow of energy.
Stimulating the central nervous system triggers the release of “good” chemicals into the joints, muscles, brain, and spinal cord. The chemicals are believed to promote a sense of overall well-being.
Here are other beliefs why acupuncture helps relieve back pain:
- It quickens electromagnetic signal relay and releases pain-killing chemicals (called endorphins).
- It helps the brain produce natural opioids, a chemical that lessens pain sensations and promotes better sleep.
- By stimulating certain points on the back, it changes the chemistry of the brain by altering the release of neurohormones and neurotransmitters.
If you think that acupuncture might be an effective, painless way to ease back pain, please call Brampton Orthoneuro Physiocare at (905) 454-4975 to book an appointment with us. We’re happy to explain our variety of services and create an individualized plan for you.